Surgical abortion is 99% effective; less than 1% of patients will require a re-aspiration. Women can feel secure being under direct medical supervision during the abortion process. The length of the procedure will vary depending on how far along you are in the pregnancy. All abortion services include:
- Individual counseling from a degreed counselor who will accompany you throughout the procedure.
- All routine lab work.
- Sonography – a diagnostic procedure to evaluate the length of your pregnancy.
- A very effective anesthesia that makes the procedure as comfortable as possible, yet lets you return to normal activity within a day of your procedure.
- Post-operative exam if needed.
- Rhogam and birth control pills when indicated.
- Post-abortion counseling if needed.
Available Surgical Abortion Services
Surgical abortion is offered into the second trimester. The process is done through the natural openings of the vagina and cervix. The size of the pregnancy, determined by the ultrasound, and your medical history will be assessed to establish the time needed for a safe process. As the pregnancy gets larger the procedure becomes more complex. Click the links below for detailed information about each procedure.
Please contact the office to schedule your appointment. Please plan on being at the clinic for between 3 and 5 hours.
- Please do not eat for 4 hours prior to your appointment
- Please do not drink for 2 hours prior to your appointment
- Dress comfortably – bring socks and wear underwear that can hold a pad
- Have someone available to drive you home
- Bring your full payment — We accept cash, money orders, and credit cards. The cardholder must be available to sign the charge slip. No personal checks.
- Please arrange for child care as waiting room is not set up to accommodate children.
The following medications may be used during the procedure.
- Fentanyl (Sublimaze)
- Versed (Midazolam)
Click here for a detailed description of these medications