Albuquerque, New Mexico
Up to 10 Weeks
We offer a medical abortion option for women up to 10 weeks LMP. A medical abortion is less invasive and allows a woman to be in her own home when the abortion occurs.
Mifepristone (Mifeprex, or RU-486) is a medication that blocks the action of progesterone; a hormone needed to maintain pregnancy. It alters the endometrium, the lining of the uterus, causing an early pregnancy to detach from the uterine wall. It also helps to soften and dilate the cervix. While you are at the clinic you will take 200 mg of Mifepristone.
Misoprostol is the second medication that you will receive. Misoprostol is very effective at causing the uterus to contract (cramp) and thus expelling the pregnancy. 800mcg of Misoprostol will be sent home with you, along with instructions to take this medication 24 to 48 hours after the Mifepristone.
While the medical abortion is 95% effective, there is a 2-5% failure rate. Because the medications used are toxic to the pregnancy, a medical abortion failure will require a surgical aspiration.
What to expect
Cramping and bleeding are an expected part of ending a pregnancy. Usually, these symptoms mean that the treatment is working. But sometimes you can get cramping and bleeding and still be pregnant. This is why you must return to your provider 6 to 10 days after the initial visit. If you are not already bleeding after taking Mifeprex, you probably will begin to bleed once you take misoprostol. Bleeding or spotting can be expected for an average of 9–16 days. Your bleeding may be similar to, or greater than, a normal heavy period. If you soak through two thick full-size sanitary pads per hour for two hours or if you are concerned about heavy bleeding, contact your provide
• During the abortion process you may eat and drink normally. It is best to avoid strenuous activity, avoid lifting over 10 pounds, and avoid spending a lot of time on your feet. Be guided by how you feel.
• Please put NOTHING in the vagina until after the follow-up exam has determined the abortion is completed.
• Do not have intercourse
• Do not use tampons- sanitary pads only.
• Do not douche, go swimming, or take a tub bath- showers are fine.
You will have an appointment scheduled for your check-up one week after your abortion.
Be sure to report if:
- Your bleeding is excessive (soaking 4 pads over 2 hours).
- You experience severe abdominal pain.
- Your temperature is ever 100.4 degrees or more.
- You have any foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
- You have severe fatigue, or extreme malaise.
- You have severe nausea or vomiting.